Google Offers Free Search Services to Universities, Educational Institutions Worldwide
New Program Features Google’s Full Award-Winning Search Services
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. – January 8, 2001 – Google Inc., developer of the award-winning Google search engine, today announced that it is offering its popular Google SiteSearch(TM) service free of charge to universities and educational institutions worldwide. Google University Search(TM) program is available immediately at services.google.com/googleuniv/login. A simple two-step process enables educational organizations to provide site visitors with Google’s powerful search and navigation capabilities, and gives webmasters full customization and reporting capabilities.
Google University Search features the powerful search and navigation features of Google SiteSearch service, which enables site visitors to search and retrieve information on an organization’s website. Together with Google WebSearch(TM), which gives site visitors the ability to search easily for information on the World Wide Web, the program is designed for the educational community to reap the benefits of Google’s fast and highly effective search technology.
"Our university program is an important step forward in expanding distribution for Google’s search services," said Sergey Brin, Google’s co-founder and president. "Students and users of university sites are actively seeking and researching specific information both on the web and within an institution’s domain. Our ultimate goal is support the free flow of information, making it universally accessible to all. This program takes us one step further."
Educational institutions currently participating in Google University Search program include the University of Chicago, Duke University, Mills College, Rice University, Rochester Institute of Technology, Stanford University, and the Universities of California at Berkeley and Irvine.
"With Google University Search program, we’re providing our site visitors with the Internet’s leading search capabilities, making it easy to find information and navigate the breadth and depth of information on our site," said Prentiss Riddle, Webmaster, Rice University. "The service was easy to install and its full range of features have significantly enhanced the value of our website as a communications hub for our university and our users."
Google University Search Features
Google’s new program for universities and educational institutions offers the following range of features:
- It’s Free!: Google is offering its search services to universities and educational institutions worldwide completely free of charge. There are no set-up fees, hardware or software requirements, or usage costs.
- Google SiteSearch: Enables site visitors to search and navigate content from Google’s main index that is contained within an institution’s domain.
- Google WebSearch: An optional feature that enables site visitors to search content from Google’s main index, which is the largest in the world with more than 1.3 billion web pages.
- Easy Two-Step Set-Up: Registration and customization details are all that are needed to get the new service up and running on any website. Service is live within an hour of completing registration.
- Full Customization: The look and feel of search results pages is completely controlled by the educational institution. Google provides a one-hour turn-around guarantee on implementation of all customization changes.
- Ads-Free Results Pages: Ads, which currently run on Google’s own search results pages will not appear in Google University Search results pages.
- Unlimited Content, Usage: Unlike other search services currently available, Google University Search program has no restrictions on the number of pages indexed or the number of searches performed.
- Real-time Reports: Google provides webmasters with detailed information regarding searches performed on their sites.
"Education has been a very important part of our lives and we’re thrilled to have an opportunity to give back to the educational community," said Larry Page, Google co-founder and CEO.
Google University Search is available immediately to qualifying universities and educational institutions. For more information, visit services.google.com/googleuniv/login.
Google provides the world’s best Internet search experience for millions of users daily by delivering a powerful, fast, and easy way to find the most relevant information available. Google’s technological innovations have powered the company to numerous awards, including the WIRED Readers Raves award for Most Intelligent Agent; a 2000 Webby and People’s Voice Award For Best Technical Achievement; Best Search Engine on the Internet from Yahoo! Internet Life; Top Ten Best Cybertech of 1999 by TIME magazine; Technical Excellence Award from PC Magazine; and Best Search Engine by The Net. A growing number of companies, including Yahoo!, AOL (Netscape), Cisco Systems, Washingtonpost.com and Red Hat, rely on Google to power search on their websites. A privately held company based in Mountain View, Calif., Google’s investors include Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and Sequoia Capital. More information about Google can be found on the Google site at www.google.com.
Google is a trademark of Google, Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of the respective companies with which they are associated.